Tuesday, June 19, 2007

SearchBoth: find stuff on Yahoo and Google at the same time

Have you tried out this search engine that lets you get results from both Yahoo and Google? It's called SearchBoth.com and I found it quite intriguing, so gave it a try this evening. You can specify what kind of results you are looking for, blogs, images, web, shopping etc and the results are display in the split screen, which expands when you move the mouse over. I use Google 99.9% of the time for my searches, and only go to Yahoo when I have exhaustively searched on Google and still not found what I was looking for, which rarely ends up happening. I would like to give this a try for a week or so, to see how relevant the results are now.

As everyone does, I keyed in my name to see which site had the more relevant results and was surprised to see that Yahoo had more relevant searches, although they missed out on one major entry; my LinkedIn page. Google got that right but messed up lower down on the page with some other entries. On Yahoo, of the first 21 results, 20 were mine. Google didn't fare quite as well, or rather didn't place as much importance on my name.

Hmmm, I think maybe my dependence on Google is not such a good thing after all!!

No comments: