Friday, March 02, 2007

Equipping a kitchen

They say living in India spoils you for all its comforts and luxuries, if you can afford it, that is. Well, we've been living in India for just over 3 years now, after a long stint in the US, and one of the perks of living here, besides friends and family, is being able to hire help for the house. We have had two maids who do all the cooking and cleaning, but my cooking maid left in late January and so I have been doing all the cooking, rediscovering the joys of the kitchen so to say.

On my past two trips to the US and Canada in June and December, I did a lot of shopping for the kitchen, but since I had a cook, I never bothered using any of the stuff I brought back. Well, in the past month, I've used all my new gadgets and equipment and thought of a bunch more to get on my next trip.

One of the best things I got was a waffle maker, something that is not easily available here. My concern was regarding the voltage difference between the US and here, so I wanted something that had a universal voltage system that could be used anywhere in the world. While I didn't get that, I did get an adapter to control the voltage supplied to it. Traveling between countries, it really is important to know how to choose and buy cooking appliances that will work no matter where you live. We've been moving quite often and will probably be moving to an international location quite soon, so its no point buying things that will only work in one country.

No comments: