Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Local retail: HyperCITY Vs Spencer's

Just back from some shopping at HyperCITY in Malad. It is the only hypermarket that is comparable to such stores in the US. They have really got everything correct in the store, from the mix of products, the layout of the store, the prices, the signage (the best of all the retail stores in India), the ease of flow from one department to the next and the wide aisles. We like going there to do all bulk items required for the house every couple of months. The checkout counters are plentiful (there are 24 of them), so you never have to wait more than 5 minutes (when I go which is always in off peak times) and the staff is courteous, helpful and knowledgeable. The fact that parking is free when you spend more than Rs 100 is an added bonus, which Spencer's at Inorbit Mall doesn't do.

HyperCITY wins over Spencer's on pretty much every front. Spencer's is nowhere as well laid out as HyperCITY, nor is it as well stocked. Like most times, I found each and everything on my list at HyperCITY, down to the right brand, right flavor, right size and usually an even better price that I had thought of. At Spencer's, I can usually only find 70% of items on my list and the most irritating part is that they keep changing things around, so you have to wander the aisles, which do not have any signs, find a customer service person who might or might not be able to tell you where to go.

The only thing that I did not like about HyperCITY is that they are not able to keep the smell down in the meat section, so even though I want to buy some stuff there, I just cannot stand the assorted smells of raw fish, meat and chicken assailing my nose.

No comments: