Friday, November 03, 2006

Drawing the line

People usually think that working from home is a breeze, that its barely work at all, they don't realize that to be effective and successful at working from home, you have to work harder at organize your life to separate these two spheres. Even though I work from home, I keep regular work hours; have a set schedule that includes getting ready and finishing of all my housework like I would before starting work. I do take advantage of the fact that I can be flexible with my schedule and go for a movie or the bookstore during the day and catch up on work later but I never really do it more than once a week. What I love most about working from home is the freedom in knowing that I can work at my own schedule, even though I might not utilize it on a daily basis. It's probably the Gemini in me that hates being tied down to any one routine.

On the same topic, I read a great article on how to balance work and family life on a personal development blog called KSuccess. The post titled Mastering Work/Life Balance & Having more fun is a good read and offers tips on how to separate the two. I especially liked and connected with the part on learning to not strive for perfection, since I too have a habit of looking over all the minor details over and over again not realizing the time spent is worth more than the improvements made on the work.

No comments: