Monday, January 21, 2008

Is social media bringing us together or pushing us further apart?

The past year has brought a lot of changes in the online world. It has changed the way we communicate with each other, and changed the way we place more importance on being connected instead of staying in touch. Even though there are so many more ways of keeping in touch, we are actually becoming more remote and robotic with each other. I joined Facebook at the end of last year, after I received invites from several people, but still don't see what the big deal is. I'd much rather keep in touch with my friends via email, rather than looking through their pics, which felt more like snooping actually. Twitter was again totally overrated for me. I mean, you're really not that important that I want to know that you're doing at every moment. Truly. The only social media format that I have really liked is LinkedIn, which doesn't masquerade as a friendly place but maintains its professionalism and decorum. If there is one social network that you should join, it should be LinkedIn.

No comments: