Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Wishful thinking

As we begun our descent into Bombay, I saw a familiar sight of bright blue rectangles on the ground amidst the houses. They immediately reminded me of the numerous swimming pools that people have in the States. Private swimming pools are very common there; one sees them over almost all cities, especially in the suburbs. I was always amazed at just how many people have pools in their back yards.

Here in India it is a rare sight. What I was seeing were not swimming pools but plastic sheets covering rooftops. There are acres and acres of shanty-like houses with plastic sheeting as protection from the rain as one approaches the airport. It is a sad view one sees of Bombay, the financial capital of India and supposedly the most progressive and developed city in the country.

I wonder when, if ever, this view will change.

No comments: