Monday, April 27, 2009

a little step that goes a long way

I'm always surprised at home many mom and pop stores just don't care for modern technology, even if it is going to increase their sales. For a lot of the old-fashioned retailers it's all too much of botheration to try and learn about new technologies and of course the cost involved with them as well. What most don't know is that how easy it actually is to use something like a Symbol LS2208 barcode scanner, and how this along with a proper inventory system can transform their business.

Often, it's just a case of one slightly-modern thinking retailer who switches and everyone else watches him and sees the difference and switches as well, some reluctantly and some enthusiastically. I've spoken to so many small neighborhood grocers who will make the investment only if pushed into it, but once they have done it, they are quite amazed at the difference it makes. If only they realized it earlier.

2 comments:

Anaka said...

Hey now you've really got me thinking! It's actually a little more work than it seems. For me to have a scanner, I need a computer in the store and a system for inventory, exchanges, returns, orders, alterations, etc. I'm working on it- but what's holding me back is more lack of time rather than unwillingness to spend the money. I agree it will go a long way though. Especially in terms of keeping count of stock. Nice post!

Shalini said...

I agree, there is a decent amount of work initially, which is the usual holdup.